By: Lauren Scheuneman, Wellness Writer, FH Content Contributor
Hey there, Pumpkin! Whether or not you are a self-proclaimed PSL aficionado, this winter squash can do wonders when added to your eating routine! From breads, to chili and smoothie bowls, the possibilities are endless for ways to incorporate this versatile ingredient to spice up your dishes. As the seasons change, we are given the opportunity to reconnect with our body and work with nature to incorporate the foods of the season into our daily lives. Read on to learn more about what pumpkin can do for you!
1. Immunity: Pumpkin packs a powerful punch of Vitamin A, which can help fight infections, prevent disease, and support overall health. As an added bonus, pumpkin contains 20 percent of the recommended daily value of Vitamin C, another immune system superhero!
2. Glowing Skin: A dual-purpose tip – pumpkin can be consumed internally as well as applied topically to the skin for a next-level glow! The beta-carotene found in pumpkin may help support the skin internally, but you can take this a step further by adding pumpkin puree into your favorite face mask and applying it topically to soothe the skin.
3. Don’t forget about the seeds! Pumpkin seeds are extremely beneficial for women’s health. Pumpkin seeds contain a high amount of zinc and magnesium, both crucial minerals that women are often lacking in their diets. Simply sprinkle seeds on your favorite salads, in oatmeal, or in your morning yogurt bowl for an added crunch that will leave you feeling better than ever!
Try it out: Pumpkin Protein Smoothie Bowl
- A morning smoothie bowl is a wonderful way to start your day off on the right foot, and pack in quite a few nutrients! This quick and easy bowl offers a seasonal twist on an everyday smoothie.
- What You’ll Need:
- 2 heaping tablespoons of Pumpkin Puree
- ½ frozen banana
- Handful of spinach (or leafy greens of choice!)
- 6 oz. of almond milk or milk of choice
- Pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- Toppings of choice!
Try out granola, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and coconut flakes! Simply blend all of your ingredients together to form a base, and top with your favorite add-ons!