Hummus, guacamole, mayo? What is your favorite spread? We got real fancy with this one. This recipe uses kidney beans as the main ingredient. Kidney beans are an excellent plant-based source of protein. They are also rich in various minerals, vitamins, fiber and antioxidants! This vegan spread is tangy, savory and can be used in salads, sandwiches and pita bread. It’s perfect for a snack or appetizer.
Check out our bean-filled holiday dishes segment for this featured recipe at the Virginia This Morning Show on CBS!
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (or cashews)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 17 -ounce cans kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons green onions, dices
- pepper & salt to taste
- sliced radish for garnish
- parsley for garnish
- Put the walnuts and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Add vinegar, salt, black pepper and process until it forms a chunky paste.
- Add beans to the processor and pulse enough to crush most of the beans (do not puree).
- On warm toasted crostini, scoop out mixture and add
- Garnish with parsley and sliced radish.