Did you know it’s American Heart Month? This curried chicken is packed full of
flavor AND good for your heart. Low-fat meats like chicken and ground turkey are a heart healthy
alternative to higher fat options. It’s beautiful and bursting with flavor, it’s perfect for a busy weeknight dinner!
Recipe adopted from NHLBI. This post was created in partnership with the National Heart, Lung, Blood Institute for the American Heart Month’s Our Hearts Campaign.
- 8 pieces skinless chicken (6 breasts)
- 1 medium white potato, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk scallion (green onion), chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- In a bowl, add chicken and mix together curry powder, thyme, scallion, hot pepper, cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic, ginger, and salt.
- Toss chicken in the seasoning mixture. Marinate for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add water, and allow chicken to cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes, and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Add onion, and cook for 10 minutes more or until meat is tender, tears apart easily and appears browned. Serve warm.